From doing untracked at the sides of the piste to ducking under the fencing for open powder bowls to touring the backcountry, the thrill of shredding the powder is totally addictive. Looking at pictures of face high pow in Japan, as above, who wouldn't want to be riding in the white room?
Of course, it's not as easy as it looks. Although it is certainly getting easier for skiers with fatter waist skis and rockered tips. But, often, just when you think you've got the hang of shredding the powder one day when the snow is fresh and cold, you lose it the next going off piste when it's warmed up and become deep and sludgy. And, in the spring, if you think that's it as far as off piste skiing goes, remember it's not over till it's over and the grass is growing. Spring skiing back or slackcountry on corn/spring snow is as good as cold powder. Grab a guide to show you.
10 TOP TIPS FOR SKIING POWDER
1) Old school powder purists will say it's cheating, but skis with wider waists and rocker help to create that float effect you get with snowboarding.
2) Like snowboarding, try and keep your weight equal on both skis.
3) Speed is your friend. It's hard to turn in deep powder if you go too slow.
4 ) Get a rhythm going. Skiing beside someone else's tracks can help - check it out looking back from the bottom.
5) Ski in the trees. Great for making you get your turns in to avoid splatting against a trunk or branch. So best to start with more widely spaced ones..
6) Face down the fall line rather than try and go across the slope.
7) Push against the soles of your feet in powder rather than rolling onto sides as when edging on the piste.
8) Unweight evenly on the skis when you turn.
9) Keep you hands forward.
10) Stay relaxed and reactive. And smile!
And STAY SAFE! Read our Powder To The People and THE ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO SHREDDING POWDER - AND LIVING LONGER!
Check out Darren Turner at Insight ski coaching and founder of the Ski School App for some of the best tips on how to ski powder:
Here's one of his advanced lessons:
Search the Site
MOUNTAIN VIEWS: Weather Reports & Webcam
Views from the mountain WebCam along with weather reports and conditions...more
From Furano to Sapporo for the finale of our ski touring adventure in Hokkaido. With a storm blowing in and lifts closed where to go? Skinning up through the trees, of course, for boot-deep pow... more
Another day, another great ski tour in Japan. It's so easy to fall into a rhythm every day of skinning up, skiing down, soaking in an onsen, having a beer, eating traditional Japanese food. And, then, waking up to repeat it all over again...more
SKIERS KNEES: FROM ACL REPAIR TO KNEE REPLACEMENT. 'Bend zee knees'. Oh you can't? Either through injury or pain do you feel your days are numbered for skiing or snowboarding? But with great leaps in knee treatments and surgery you could be riding into your twilight - make that midnight - years. Check out the latest knee treatments and surgery plus the price of a new knee...more